Planted Trees

Planted trees are a renewable and recyclable raw material that is friendly to the environment, biodiversity, and human life.

What are planted forests?

Planted Trees

These areas are reforested by planting of seedlings, which are cultivated according to a sustainable management plan. This practice remediates spaces which were degraded in the past, reduces environmental impacts, and promotes economic and social development in the communities surrounding planted forests and factories.

In Brazil, exotic species such as eucalyptus, pine, and teak are planted. Native species utilized in planted forests include Araucaria and paricá.

Conservation

Planted trees are a renewable and recyclable raw material that is friendly to the environment, biodiversity, and human life. Brazil has 7.83 million hectares planted with eucalyptus, pine, and other species to produce wood panels, laminated floors, pulp, paper, energy, and biomass. Planted trees are responsible for 91% of all the wood produced for industrial purposes in Brazil; the remaining 9% comes from natural forests which are legally managed.

Furthermore, to prevent pressure and degradation in natural ecosystems, energy forests help supply forest biomass, firewood, and charcoal.

Besides their productive functions, planted trees play an important role in providing environmental services: they avoid deforestation of natural habitats and protect biodiversity, they preserve the soil and river sources, they recover degraded areas, they are sources of renewable energy and help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, since they naturally store carbon.