Planted trees are a renewable and recyclable raw material, which is friendly towards the environment, biodiversity and human life. Brazil has 7.8 million hectares of planted eucalyptus, pine and other species used in the production of wood panels and laminate flooring, pulp, paper, energy production and biomass. That area equals 0.9% of domestic territory. The Brazilian planted trees industry is responsible for 91% all wood produced for industrial purposes in the Country—the other 9% come from legally managed native forests.

Energy forests are planted to avoid the pressure on and degradation of natural ecosystems, they contribute to supply forestry biomass, firewood and charcoal.

In addition to productive features, planted trees play an important role in providing environmental services: they prevent deforestation of native forests, therefore protecting biodiversity and preserving the soil and springs, they recover degraded areas; they are sources of renewable energy and contribute to reducing greenhouse gases, as they are natural carbon inventories.

Planting for industrial purposes is carried out according to sustainable forestry management principles that seek to reduce environmental impacts and promote economic and social development of the communities surrounding the plantations and mills.